Sustainability: food & planet
This is a new page within West Shore Voice News, as of spring 2018. Articles & ads welcome. Contact: email@example.com
EVENTS & MARKETS
WORKSHOPS & ONE-DAY EVENTS:
- Sat May 12 – Plant Sale for the Colwood Campus Garden Project (fundraiser), 2139 Sooke Rd, Colwood. 10 am to 4 pm
- Sat May 12 – Spring Organic Plant Sale – 10 am to 2 pm, Compost Education Centre, 1216 North Park St, Victoria www.compost.bc.ca
- ONGOING May to October – Sooke Country Market, Otter Pt Rd at Eustace (Sooke town centre).
- ONGOING May 13 to October 21 – Goldstream Farmers Market at Veterans Memorial Park, Langford. 10 am to 2 pm
- ONGOING. End of May to end of September – Shirley’s Farmers Market. Sundays 10:30am to 3:30pm, Shirley Community Hall’s Pioneer Park, 20 km NW of Sooke on West Coast Road (Hwy 14).
Pitching for a Weir for the Cowichan River [West Shore Voice News – as published April 27, 2018, page 2] Alistair MacGregor, MP supports local efforts to have the Cowichan Weir raised as “green infrastructure” on the Cowichan River. In the House of Commons this week he asked that the Dept of Oceans & Fisheries commit to funds for the project, to overcome critically low river flow rates due to climate change. Slow-moving water with higher temperatures poses a risk to fish and fish habitat. Holding back more lake water will ensure an adequate supply of water flow in summer months.
Be Prepared for 7 days. Article for Emergency Preparedness Week – Sooke Fire Rescue Service. As first published on page 3 in the April 27, 2018 print/PDF issue of West Shore Voice News.
BC Government seeks public input about Agricultural Land Commission & Agriculture Land Reserve – April 20, 2018 – West Shore Voice News
Free soil testing for contaminants in the West Shore (participation deadline extended) – April 6, 2018 – by Mary P Brooke, West Shore Voice News
Soil contaminant testing offered to food growing households in the west shore – March 9, 2018 – by Sophia Romanchuk for West Shore Voice News