West Shore Voice News is an independent news service, locally owned and operated by Brookeline Publishing House Inc. Formats include print, PDF, news updates by email, and news posted online on this website as well as on Facebook and various Twitter streams.
Online posting of news, analysis and commentary about the goings-on of ‘this west side of the island’, on Vancouver Island, off the mainland coast of British Columbia, Canada. Sections by municipality or region, and topic (education, sustainability, health, elections).
We serve inquisitive, attentive readers, publishing content that is particularly appealing to progressive citizens and socially-responsible businesses. Important news is separated from the noise. We go deeper.
News in support of successful living is our guiding core value: business & economy, health & wellness, education, the arts, politics, sustainability, youth & social trends.
- Digital subscribers receive either the Premium PDF early edition each week, or the watermarked courtesy edition as a link.
- The PDF version of the weekly West Shore Voice News is posted online, where about 64,000 page visits per week are achieved by the full website. Each week, readers can find the watermarked-PDF version posted online on this website, and as a courtesy edition via Twitter and Facebook.
- You’ll find the coffee shop print (grayscale) edition around Sooke, Langford and Colwood in coffee shops, business lobbies, rec centres and libraries.
- E-Newsletters are issued weekly to digital subscribers.
Content scope is an overview of regional news in Langford, Colwood, Sooke, Metchosin, Highlands, Juan de Fuca, View Royal, and Esquimalt) as well as covering the Capital Regional District (CRD) / Greater Victoria area. News of BC, national and global context is covered where we have a unique contribution to make, or where there is local/regional impact, and where our readers would expect a synopsis.
Insight editorials. In addition to posting mainstream news our value-added offering is to take a thoughtful and progressive stance on the news of the day, through features and editorials.
News in Canada
Here’s what Prime Minister Justin Trudeau has to say about journalism and journalists:
“Journalists start conversations, shine light on stories that would otherwise not be told, and give Canadians the facts they need to engage in public debate and shape events around them. A free and open press is crucial to an informed and engaged citizenry, which is at the heart of a healthy democracy.” ~ Prime Minister Justin Trudeau, on World Press Freedom Day May 3, 2017 [note of interest: Trudeau chose fictional reporter Clark Kent aka Superman as his 2017 Halloween costume]
Contributions welcome! Send to: firstname.lastname@example.org or text to 250-217-5821:
- Competently-written articles, worthwhile insights and publishable photos.
- Op-ed contributions from government, recognized community leaders, and major economic players.
- Letters and testimonials.
West Shore Voice News has been published weekly since January 2011 (as Sooke Voice News 2011-to-mid 2014; before that 2008-2010 we published as MapleLine Magazine). Our base of operation was in Sooke up to summer 2017; as of July 2017 we now operate out of Langford, BC.
- 10-Year MILESTONE Issue: Issue #369 February 16, 2018 – our 10-Year Milestone issue [ see reader comments as published in the 10-Year Milestone issue ]
Founder, publisher and editor-in-chief of West Shore Voice News is Mary P Brooke, B.Sc., Cert PR | Publishing Support Specialist: Jennifer Brooke | Reporter & Web Consultant: Sophia Romanchuk | Photojournalist: Chelsea Kirkpatrick | IT Manager: Les Oberg.
Freelance writers and photographers may contact us for career-building opportunities.
Memberships & Notes:
- West Shore Voice News is a member of the West Shore Chamber of Commerce.
- West Shore Voice News holds an inter-municipal Business Licence in the municipality of Langford.
- West Shore Voice News is a long-time contributing sponsor of the Sooke Fine Arts Show (2015, 2016, 2017, 2018)
- West Shore Voice News was the 2017 Media Partner for CFIB’s Small Business Saturday promotion (October 2017) | October 20, 2017 issue
- In February 2018, West Shore Voice News celebrated 10 years of journalism about the west shore. See the February 16, 2018 issue and a separate page with the reader/supporter commentary.
- Mary Brooke addressed students about journalism and the media industry, on Career Day at Royal Bay Secondary School in March 2018.
- Mary Brooke was a founding director of the Professional Editors Association of Vancouver Island (PEAVI).
- Mary Brooke was the inaugural curriculum writer and instructor of the Writing for Business & Journalism Program at the Western Academy of Photography, Victoria.