West Shore Voice News is a weekly newspaper [print and online] with daily postings of news, analysis and commentary about the goings-on of ‘this west side of the island’, on Vancouver Island, off the mainland coast of British Columbia, Canada.
We are an independent news service for inquisitive, attentive readers. We publish stuff that matters to progressive people and socially-responsible businesses. We separate the important news from the noise. We go deeper.
News in support of successful living is our guiding core value: business & economy, health & wellness, education, the arts, politics, sustainability & social trends.
- We publish news daily online on this website by region, date and topic. We also publish a weekly newspaper format (print and PDF online). Articles are further posted on Facebook, and in short bits on Twitter.
- Digital subscribers receive either the premium-edition PDF each week, or as a sponsor can receive a direct link to the online PDF version.
- The PDF version of the weekly West Shore Voice News is posted online, where about 64,000 page visits per week are achieved. Each week, readers can find the watermarked-PDF version posted online as a courtesy edition via Twitter and Facebook.
- You’ll find the coffee shop print edition around Sooke, Langford and Colwood in coffee shops, business lobbies, rec centres and libraries. Also available in either colour or grayscale by direct delivery or postal mail to paying subscribers.
Content scope is an overview of regional news in Langford, Colwood, Sooke, Metchosin, Highlands, Juan de Fuca, View Royal, and Esquimalt) as well as covering the Capital Regional District / Greater Victoria area. We cover BC, national and global news where we have a unique contribution to make, or where there is local/regional impact, and where our readers would expect a synopsis.
Insight editorials. In addition to posting mainstream news our value-added offering is to take a thoughtful and progressive stance on the news of the day, through features and editorials.
Here’s what Prime Minister Justin Trudeau has to say about journalism and journalists: “Journalists start conversations, shine light on stories that would otherwise not be told, and give Canadians the facts they need to engage in public debate and shape events around them. A free and open press is crucial to an informed and engaged citizenry, which is at the heart of a healthy democracy.” ~ Prime Minister Justin Trudeau, on World Press Freedom Day May 3, 2017 [note of interest: Trudeau chose fictional reporter Clark Kent aka Superman as his 2017 Halloween costume]
Contributions welcome! Send to: firstname.lastname@example.org or text to 250-217-5821:
- Competently-written articles, worthwhile insights and publishable photos.
- Op-ed contributions from government, recognized community leaders, and major economic players.
- Letters and testimonials.
- The 2018 West Shore Voice News readership survey is available online from March 7 to March 21 here: https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/Y6ZG36B .
West Shore Voice News is an independent news service, locally owned and operated by Brookeline Publishing House Inc. Formats include print, PDF, news by email, and news posted online on this website as well as on Facebook and several Twitter streams.
The newspaper West Shore Voice News has been published weekly since January 2011 (as Sooke Voice News during 2011-to-mid 2014; before that during 2008-2010 we published as MapleLine Magazine). Our base of operation was in Sooke up to summer 2017; as of July 2017 we now operate out of Langford, BC. CONTACT
- ISSUES of NOTE: Issue #350 featured the opening of the West Shore Parkway in Langford (Oct 2017). Issue #361 was our Christmas 2017 issue. Issue #362 Year-End Issue with top newsmakers | Issue #366 January 26, 2018 – Tsunami Warning aftermath | Issue #369 February 16, 2018 – our 10-Year Milestone issue [ see reader comments as published in the 10-Year Milestone issue ]
Founder, publisher and editor-in-chief of West Shore Voice News is Mary P Brooke, B.Sc., Cert PR | Publishing Support Specialist: Jennifer Brooke | Reporter: Sophia Romanchuk | IT Manager: Les Oberg.
Freelance writers and photographers may contact us for career-building opportunities.
Memberships & Notes:
- West Shore Voice News is a member of the West Shore Chamber of Commerce.
- West Shore Voice News holds an inter-municipal Business Licence in the municipality of Langford.
- West Shore Voice News has been a sponsor of the Sooke Fine Arts Show (2015, 2016, 2017)
- West Shore Voice News was the 2017 Media Partner for CFIB’s Small Business Saturday promotion (October 2017) | October 20, 2017 issue
- In February 2018, West Shore Voice News has celebrated 10 years of journalism about the west shore. See the February 16, 2018 issue and a separate page with the reader/supporter commentary.
- Mary Brooke addressed students about journalism and the media industry, on Career Day at Royal Bay Secondary School on March 14, 2018.
- Mary Brooke was a founding director of the Professional Editors Association of Vancouver Island (PEAVI)
- Mary Brooke was the inaugural curriculum writer and instructor of the Writing for Business & Journalism Program at the Western Academy of Photography, Victoria.